Scientific names: BAILLONELLA TOXISPERMA – MIMUSOPS DJAVE
Origin: CENTRAL AFRICA
Reference color: red brown
Sapwood: very distinct
Grain: fine Grain
: straight or counter-grain
Wood pinkish brown to red brown more or less dark and finely veined. Satin aspect on quarter.
PHYSICAL AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES
These properties can vary significantly depending on the origin and growing conditions of the wood.
- Density *: 0.87
- Monnin hardness *: 6.8
- Coef. Volume shrinkage: 0.64%
- Stability in service: not very stable
- Total radial shrinkage: 6.5%
- Fiber saturation point: 23%
- Total tangential shrinkage: 8.7%
(*: 12% humidity)
NATURAL DURABILITY AND IMPREGNABILITY OF WOOD
- Mushrooms: cl 1 – very durable
- Dry wood insects: durable; distinct sapwood (risk limited to sapwood)
- Termites: class D – durable
- Impregnability: 3-4 – little or no impregnation
- Biological risk class: 4 – in contact with soil or fresh water
Due to its high density and high silica content, it naturally covers biological risk class 5 (use in marine environment or brackish water).
SAWING AND MACHINING
- Blunting effect: significant
- Teeth for sawing: stellate teeth
- Machining tools: tungsten carbide
Requires power. Quite high to high blunting effect (silica). Dust can irritate mucous membranes.
- Nailing – Screwing: good hold, pre-boring necessary
- Gluing: correct
Tends to split when nailing. Nailing requires care (dense wood).
A substitute for the Makoré
- exterior and interior carpentry
- turned items
Main known uses to be validated by implementation in accordance with the rules of the art. Important note: some uses are mentioned for information.
Source: CIRAD – ATIBT
REACTION TO FIRE
- French conventional classification: thickness> 14 mm: M.3 (moderately flammable) thickness <14 mm: M.4 (easily flammable)
- classification according to euroclasses: D s2 d0 This default classification concerns solid woods meeting the requirements of standard NF EN 14081-1 appendix C (May 2006), used in vertical walls. Namely structural wood, classified, with a minimum average density of 0.35 and a minimum thickness of 22 mm.