Scientific names: PTERYGOTA BEQUAERTII – PTERYGOTA MACROCARPA
Reference color: creamy white
Sapwood: not distinct
Grain: medium Grain
: straight or counter-grain
The tree sometimes has extensive buttresses. Creamy white to light yellow wood, attractive speckled appearance on quarter. Unpleasant odor when green.
PHYSICAL AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES
These properties can vary significantly depending on the origin and growing conditions of the wood.
- Density *: 0.59
- Monnin hardness *: 2.5
- Coef. Volume shrinkage: 0.57%
- Stability in service: not very stable
- Total radial shrinkage: 4.5%
- Fiber saturation point: 25%
- Total tangential shrinkage: 9.6%
(*: 12% humidity)
NATURAL DURABILITY AND IMPREGNABILITY OF WOOD
- Mushrooms: cl 5 – not sustainable
- Insects of dry wood: susceptible; sapwood little or not distinct (risk in all the wood)
- Termites: class S – susceptible
- Impregnability: class 1 – impregnable
- Biological risk class: 1 – indoors (no risk of humidification)
This species is sensitive to bluing.
SAWING AND MACHINING
- Blunting effect: normal
- Teeth for sawing: ordinary or alloy steel
- Machining tools: ordinary
Tendency to lint during machining. Good finish after filling.
- Nailing – Screwing: good hold
- Gluing: correct
- sliced veneer
- interior carpentry
- current furniture or elements
- slatted panel
- light frame
- plywood face or back
- fiber or particle board
Koto veneers are often stained by steaming.
Main known uses to be validated by implementation in accordance with the rules of the art. Important note: some uses are mentioned for information.
Source: CIRAD – ATIBT
REACTION TO FIRE
- French conventional classification: thickness> 14 mm: M.3 (moderately flammable) thickness <14 mm: M.4 (easily flammable)
- classification according to euroclasses: D s2 d0 This default classification concerns solid woods meeting the requirements of standard NF EN 14081-1 appendix C (May 2006), used in vertical walls. Namely structural wood, classified, with a minimum average density of 0.35 and a minimum thickness of 22 mm.